Incontinence is usually from muscle weakness of the bladder and the pelvic area. It's not something you or your loved one need to accept as you get older, or an inevitable consequence of childbirth or surgery. Incontinence is a treatable medical condition, whether you have occasional light wetness, heavier bladder leakage, bedwetting or bowel issues. No matter what type or degree of incontinence you might be experiencing, help is available.
Many people experience occasional, minor leaks of urine. Others may lose small to moderate amounts of urine more frequently.
Types of urinary incontinence include:
- Stress incontinence. Urine leaks when you exert pressure on your bladder by coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercising or lifting something heavy.
- Urge incontinence. You have a sudden, intense urge to urinate followed by an involuntary loss of urine. You may need to urinate often, including throughout the night. Urge incontinence may be caused by a minor condition, such as infection, or a more-severe condition such as a neurologic disorder or diabetes.
- Overflow incontinence. You experience frequent or constant dribbling of urine due to a bladder that doesn't empty completely.
- Functional incontinence. A physical or mental impairment keeps you from making it to the toilet in time. For example, if you have severe arthritis, you may not be able to unbutton your pants quickly enough.
- Mixed incontinence. You experience more than one type of urinary incontinence.
Different Types of Adult Diapers / Pull Up Pants
Today, adult diapers come in many variations.
- Brief. Comes in cloth and plastic. Attached using tabs on the sides.
- Pull Up Pants. One that looks like regular underwear. Often used by patients who are active.
- Reusable/Cloth. Intended for seniors with very mild incontinence. It features a pad inside and is washable. Seniors are suggested to wear waterproof pants to prevent and even conceal diaper leakage.
- Incontinence pads. Works the same like sanitary napkins. This should be used together with a regular underwear.